dimanche 13 décembre 2009

Seminar presentation

Last week, I had to present my work again, but this time in front of the PhD students of the ECA, regardless of their discipline.  There were about 7 or 8 people from very different backgrounds (Moving images, Documentary, Landscape architecture, etc), who got into a very lively discussion after my presentation. The concept of space versus static images, the significance of symbols and colours, the value of aesthetic education to the aesthetic experience, etc. All these topics seem to provoke quite a lot of thinking, and I am really glad to see that for the most part, people tend to respond positively to my project.
Tomorrow starts the last week before the Christmas break. I still have lots of things to do, including presenting the schema that will explain my intentions.
What I presented last week included a first idea of the thesis I will try to defend, the core idea of my project: There is a universal aesthetic response to natural environment that is intimately linked with a positive physiological response to distinct organic elements.
Of course this is not exactly what I mean, and I still need to work on it.
My research questions also seem to be evolving. the last time I had a meeting with my supervisor, Peter Aspinall, we started talking about working with people with minor visual impairment. It would be indeed a good way to assess the importance of the visual aspect in the experience of outdoor space.
There are just so many different possibilities, steming from a single (but very large) idea. It is definitely not easy to chose which path to take. Also because fundings and opportunities for publication will depend on it.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire